Compounding Pharmacy Services for Feline Medicine
We care the way you care about happy, healthy felines.
“A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” Ernest Hemingway
A cat, as feline-medicine specialists know well, is not a little dog. They experience the world differently than “man’s best friend,” there are fewer medications made for cats than dogs, and cats metabolize medications differently—if they’ll take their medicine. While a well-placed dab of peanut butter or chunk of bacon might fool a dog into downing a bitter pill, the cats in your care aren’t always so compliant.
The high cost of non-compliance.
It’s no surprise to friends of felines that “How to Pill a Cat” jokes, cartoons and videos are popular Internet destinations. But feline compliance with medication regimes is not a joke when compliance makes the difference between good health and illness. Compliance, of course, is tied directly to cats’ health.
These facts from a recent study may surprise you:
- The rate of compliance for chronic medication is just 76%. That means an astounding 24% of pets aren’t being treated with the medications they need to live healthy lives—and in some cases, simply to live.
- Pet owners who are shown one or more ways to administer medication had a significantly higher rate of compliance (73% vs. 59% for those not shown). Yet, only 43% of practices show pet owners how to administer medication.
- 60% of owners would pay more for medication that is palatable or easy to administer.
- 93% of veterinarians say that compliance monitoring has a positive impact on their practice.
- 72% of pet owners would like to receive information in writing about their pets’ medication so they could refer back to it.
You can turn to us for hard-to-find medications
, unique, compliance-friendly dosage forms
like tasty, chewable Gourmeds
®, smaller-than-a Tic-Tac® Tiny Tabs
® and the Twist-a-Dose
® transdermal gel applicator, more than 30 feline-friendly flavors
like fish, liver, chicken and beef, and custom-compounded medications to meet your exact specifications. You and your clients also can turn to our online learning center
for scores of professional monographs
, medication information for pet owners
and hundreds of articles from our partner, PetMD
Turn to Wedgewood Pharmacy to help maintain the health of the cats in your care.
As one of the nation's largest compounding pharmacies, our specialized compounding pharmacists have helped to solve unique medication problems for feline-medicine practitioners since 1981. Serving more than 30,000 human-health and animal-health prescribers, we have the experience and resources to help you to solve many complex medication-compliance issues.
If you do not find the specific compounded medication, dosage form and/or flavor that meets your needs, please telephone our customer care specialists at 800.331.8272.
To learn more about caring for felines, you may find these resources to be helpful.
Wedgewood Pharmacy’s Learning Center for Pet Owners
Wedgewood Pharmacy's Veterinarian-Authored Drug Monographs for Veterinarians
Wedgewood Pharmacy's Feline Formulary
American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
American Association of Feline Practitioners
Find a Feline Practitioner
General Principles of Feline Welfare
Cornell Feline Health Center
International Society Feline Medicine
 Albers, J. DVM, Hardesty C. Compliance: Taking Quality Care to the Next Level.